Monday, January 25, 2010

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

This album was wildly popular in indie/folk circles when it came out, and for a while I really couldn't figure out why. It's the kind of music I know I should like; folky, heartfelt, brought to us by Jagjaguar (the same label as Okkervil River), but it wasn't catching me and after the first listen I pretty much discarded it.

It turns out that the gym may not be the best place to really appreciate good music. It kept showing up on people's "Best Album of the whatever" list, so I returned to it several months later to give it another chance and was surprised how much had stuck with me after that first listen. I chose it for the top 5 to introduce some variety into my picks, but I also think the album has real merit. I would not recommend listening to it if you are the least bit tired.

The album was written and recorded while Justin Vernon was sick with mono in a cabin in Wisconsin during winter, which is about as depressing a setting as I can imagine. He had just broken up with the titular Emma (tee hee....titular....) and drew inspiration from that. What's more inspiring than a bad break-up and mono?

Anyways, may not be your cuppa, but I urge you to give it a chance.

Fav tracks: 1 - Flume, 3 - Skinny Love, 6 - Creature Fear, 8 - For Emma

2 comments:

  1. It's very relaxing. I don't think I would ever listen to one song, but I like the whole album.

    He played all the instruments and edited the whole thing by himself? Knowing that makes the album much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, forgot to mention that. Apparently having mono makes you awesome.

    ReplyDelete