Don't know what to say about this one, guys. Youtube told me I should like them and I'm very impressionable when the interwebs tells me something. Youtube suggested it based on my listening patterns. They're a bit more bright and cheerful than I normally find myself enjoying, but I just got hooked. This album was on regular rotation when I went back to Utah in March for the funeral (along with Vampire Weekend and New Pornographers), which although a sad time, was a good time to be together so I think there's some nostalgia working here.
That said, I love the instrumentals and the eclectic sound. Every song is different enough from the one before it to keep it interesting, and you can't deny they have a lot of talent. I'm a sucker for these large, multi-instrument bands (see: Margot and the Nuclear So-and-so's). Aaron calls them a mash-up of Modest Mouse and Bright Eyes, but I think that doesn't give it enough credit.
Favourite tracks: 3 - Tornado Lessons (bizarre fast-speed vocals, but it never gets old). 6 - Journey of the Featherless, 11 - May your hearts stay strong. What the hell, I like the last track too. There, I said it. I think the build is just awesome.
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I believe I amended my opinion to include Beirut in the mash-up. And, like I said, that's just an observation, not a derogatory description (at least, wasn't meant to be).
ReplyDeleteThis is the one I've listened to the most of all the new albums. It's crazy hippie (I read the band lives on an organic farm somewhere in Minnesota) energy. Noah likes it, which proves that point. As he says, he likes fast songs.
Elliot said something like "horsey song" when the 3rd track was playing. That's the experimental chipmunk song.
My favorite, the one I can listen to 5 or 6 times in a row is "Hurricane and Fire Survival Guide". I'd like the last song if it weren't for the auto-tune. I hate auto-tune.
Where does YouTube make music recommendations?
I'm honoured to have the dubious distinction of being the only one to pick an album that appeals to my 2 and 4 years old nephews.
ReplyDeleteSorry, YouTube doesn't necessarily make MUSIC recommendations, just video recommendations based on your viewing history. I think you have to have a YouTube account though.
Pity about the auto-tune. Again though I think there might be some nostalgia factor at play for me.